Let’s get real here and talk about mom shaming. We all know it’s a real thing. But let’s get something straight, we are all imperfect! Even though we love to celebrate the perfect moments we have as parents, we have to understand that being a perfect mom is impossible. As much as we’d love to be perfect mothers, it isn’t the reality and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Our mistakes help us learn and grow as parents. It’s all part of the adventure of parenting.
Does the Picture Perfect Mom Exist?
Have you ever scrolled through social media and felt like every other mother is doing a better job than you are? We’ve all felt like that. Social media creates an image of perfection because people can choose to post their best moments. There’s nothing wrong with showcasing your good moments but it just isn’t the reality. We have to start celebrating the imperfect moments because it helps us grow and quite honestly, those moments give us a good laugh in the future. [so capture every moment!] It can be really difficult to overlook judgment from other parents, especially those you trust. When you feel those moments of insecurity, it can be hard to bounce back and turn away.
How to Move Past External Judgements:
- Simply just walk away. Don’t look back!! If someone is judging and shaming your parenting, they aren’t worth it. Strut away with confidence and leave them in the dust momma!
- Make a list about all the amazing accomplishments you’ve made as a mother. If you are ever feeling down about yourself, take a piece of paper and just start writing everything amazing that you’ve done. This will boost your confidence and remind yourself about all the amazing things you’ve done for yourself and your children.
- Take a break from social media. Social media is a place where parents like to showcase their best moments and leave out the imperfect ones. As we all know, we are all imperfect mothers. Sure we have our moments which we need to celebrate, but we also need to normalize celebrating the imperfect moments, because those are what help us grow as parents.
- Join a mom group. Remember that every mom is going through the same journey as you. Finding a group of moms that you can be vulnerable in front of is essential to ensure you feel supported. Check out our free Mom Group!
- Embrace your imperfections. No matter what happens in your parenting life, remember that we are all imperfect and are learning every single day. Laugh about your imperfect moments and move on because let’s be honest, we all have moments and stories that are worth laughing about and sharing.
- Remember that the shame someone is forcing on you is often a reflection of what they wish they would have done or a questioning of their own decisions. Hold strong in your beliefs and remember that it’s more likely about them than it is about you!
Mom shaming has become increasingly worse due to the high expectations that society and other moms put on us. That’s something we want to move away from and show all you mommas out there that none of us are perfect!
Imperfect Moms for the Win!
No matter what you see on social media or online, the perfect mom simply doesn’t exist. We are all learning how to be parents and it’s one of the most rewarding adventures in life. Those are some of the ways you can overlook mom shaming and not acknowledge comments from other moms who don’t want to embrace imperfect mom moments. So if you want to share an imperfect mom moment you’ve had we want to hear about it and put an end to mom shaming. We have created a place where moms can anonymously share their imperfect moments so they can be shared and show fellow mommas out there that no one is perfect.
Click on this link and share an imperfect mom moment and discover that you aren’t alone: www.confessionsofimperfectmoms.com
We are all in this together mommas!!